12 Questions to Ask Before You Select an Auto Repair Shop
Brian England, Thu, Oct 22, 2019
If you are actively searching for a new auto repair shop to work on your car, here are 12 questions you should ask:
- What cars do you service and repair? Sometimes it’s the obvious questions that get overlooked. You’ll need to make sure that the auto shop you are considering is experienced at servicing your vehicle.
- Are your technicians ASE certified? Certifications are important. They demonstrate that the auto mechanics working on your car has the proper level of expertise.
- Are your auto technicians trained to work on my make of car? All cars aren’t created equal. Make sure the shop has technicians that know your specific vehicle.
- What is your warranty? Make sure that the work performed on your vehicle is guaranteed in case something goes wrong. Understand what the warranty covers. Warranties are typically provided for a specific period of time or mileage, whichever comes first.
- Do you have a free shuttle service? Don’t assume that the auto shop provides free shuttle service. Some don’t. It’s best to ask to make sure you’ll be able to get to where you need to go while your car is being serviced.
- What is your hourly rate? Know the labor rate ahead of time. It will provide added perspective in evaluating the cost of service. Additionally, you don’t necessarily want the lowest labor rate. Having a labor rate that is at or above the average for the area ensures that the shop can retain high performing staff.
- Do you keep records of the repairs and service performed on my car? If you are looking to establish a relationship with an auto shop, you’ll want to work with a shop that maintains accurate service records and makes service recommendations based on that information.
- Do I need an appointment, and can I wait for the service to be performed? Find out in advance if you need an appointment, so that you won’t make any unnecessary trips. Additionally, if you plan to wait for the service to be performed, you’ll need to find out whether the auto shop has an area where customers can wait.
- Will you give me a tour of your facility? Auto service providers should be open to allowing you to tour their facility. Transparency is important, if the management isn’t willing to give you a tour, look for another shop. When you do get a chance to look around, look for cleanliness, safe practices, and orderliness.
- How long have you been in business, and have won any awards? Awards and community recognition can be another form of assurance of high quality service.
- Do you have a list of what you check on the services you perform? Good auto repair shops should have a list of items that are checked as part of the services performed.
- What happens if I have an emergency and you are closed? BA Auto Care offers an emergency hotline for our customers in case of an emergency. Find out what off-hour services the shop you are considering provides.